Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Buckeye Foundation: How Folsom & El Dorado Hills can step up and help!


“When we give cheerfully and accept gratefully, everyone is blessed.” 
 
Maya Angelou


A few weeks ago here in El Dorado Hills, I had coffee with Jon Yoffie who volunteers his time to help run the Buckeye Foundation, www.buckeyefoundation.org, which has done a tremendous amount of good in the lives of elementary and middle school age children in my community.  In our conversation, I learned a very interesting fact: his kids are both in high school!  Given that, I asked if he was looking to pass the torch and he was emphatic that he saw good work being done and that was more than enough to keep him going strong.  At his organization, there a handful of people doing the heavy lifting, yet we all benefit because of it.  Several years ago, when state budget cuts threatened to cut librarians and P.E. teachers, Jon and the foundation were there to make sure that there was funding to keep those positions on staff.  With so much new technology available, our teachers need to learn how to use it in the classroom and right now, the foundation is providing grants to get them there.  They are a shining example of good work being done right here in our community, and I encourage you to check them out.

In our conversation, I found out that less than 4% of families in our school district are contributing to the organization (my family not being one of them), despite both of my sons Gabriel and Jacob deriving direct benefits from the hard work and generosity of others.  Now that I am 37 years old and almost a “grownup”, I’ve made up my mind to make a difference and get involved with my time, talents, and treasure and I’d like to challenge you to do the same.   What I’ve noticed about the people who I know that are very charitably involved is that they usually seem to have a great amount of peace and happiness in their lives, and I’d like some of that too!

After making my first donation, I felt great because the Foundation's work was really easy for me to see in action.  In his 3rd grade class at Silva Valley Elementary, my son and his classmates use Chromebooks with WiFi (the networks funded by the Foundation) for nearly all of their research projects.  When his class had an open house recently, I was stunned to see the power point presentation that he’d created all on his own, at just eight years old! As I didn’t figure power point out until my early twenties, I’m incredibly grateful for the huge leaps that he’s able to make at such a young age.  


Charitable giving can be an extremely useful tool for both estate and financial planning purposes, and I’m here to help you realize the potential tax savings that you can achieve by benefiting a fine organization such as the Buckeye Foundation.  Please reach out to me if you have any other questions about how to get involved with your time, treasure and talents.

Best,
Mike

Michael M. Knittel
Director/Portfolio Manager
Lagunitas Asset Management
1024 Iron Point Road, Suite 100
Folsom, CA 95630
916.357.6656

"Helping Smart People Make Smart Investments"™                                                 
  
                                                    

Follow our Blog @ www.LagunitasIQ.blogspot.com                      
Securities offered through J.W. Cole Financial, Inc. (JWC) Member FINRA/SIPC.  Advisory services offered through Lagunitas Asset Management.  Lagunitas Asset Management and JWC are unaffiliated entities.  J.W. Cole Financial Representatives do not accept orders and /or instructions regarding your account by e-mail, voice mail, fax or any alternative method. Privileged/ Confidential Information may be contained in this message. This electronic mail transmission and any document(s) accompanying this transmission is privileged, and may be proprietary in nature. It is intended only for the use of the named addressee(s) to which it is directed. If you are not the addressee(s) indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email. Please advise us immediately if you or your employer do not consent to Internet email for message of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of our firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment